Easy DIY Gingerbread House
Nothing says happy holidays like a DIY gingerbread house! Building a homemade gingerbread house from scratch is an activity the whole family can enjoy.
HOW-TO MAKE AN EASY DIY GINGERBREAD HOUSE
- CUT a pattern for the house out of parchment paper, using SmartGrid as a guide:
- Roof: 2 squares x 3 squares
- Sides: 2 squares x 2 squares
- Front/Back: 2 1/2 squares x 2 squares (half squares cut diagonally to form roof pitch)
- Base: 3 squares x 3 squares
- PLACE the pattern over the dough and cut out gingerbread house pieces
- Two (2) Roof pieces: 2 squares x 3 squares
- Two (2) Side pieces: 2 squares x 2 squares
- Two (2) Front/Back: 2 1/2 squares x 2 squares
- One (1) Base: 3 squares x 3 squares
Steps 5 & 6
- BAKE on parchment lined baking sheets for 12 -14 minutes or until gingerbread is firm. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- PREPAERE icing: beat powdered sugar, meringue powder, water and extract in a large bowl, with an electric mixer, on high speed until smooth and thick, about 1 minute.
- TRANSFER icing to a parchment piping bag. Use icing to glue sides, front/back on to the gingerbread base. Let stand for 5 minutes to dry, then glue roof pieces on top. Cover icing tightly when not in use, icing dries quickly.
- DECORATE finished gingerbread house as desired, using icing to affix candies.